In the fall of 1902 the Bellefonte Hospital became a reality with Dr. George Harris, Andrew Curtin's son-in-law, in charge. The first hospital facility was in the large house, owned by Dr. R. G. H. Hayes at N. Spring Street and Cherry Lane. When the hospital moved to its new building on the southern edge of town, the original hospital building became the offices of Dr. J. C. Rogers and even later, was used by his son, Dr. Hugh Rogers.
In April 1903, a group of citizens who were working for an adequate hospital facility, purchased land on Willowbank Street, the old McKee homestead. Due to the "scarcity of means" at the time, only those repairs "absolutely necessary" were done to the existing building. The walls were scraped and recoated; the plumbing was made "as sanitary as possible"; every particle of wood work inside the house was cleaned and repaired; a new heating plant was installed and the cellar was dug out and thoroughly white-washed. The first fund-raising effort was also begun to cover cost of the property rehabilitation and the expense of equipping the new facility. The location of the new building, facing Sping Creek, provided a view of the old Harris and Thomas mansion, the Valentine estate and the Big Spring.
During the summer of 1906, a carnival was held in the Armory on Spring Street to benefit the new hospital raising $2,500.
An addition to the Bellefonte Hospital was completed in 1909.
In 1910 Bellefonte Hospital acquired an its first ambulance, a Pierce Arrow which it purchased from the Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. Before it was put into service, S. A. McQuistion of Bellefonte completely inspected it and gave it a new paint job complete with the word "Ambulance" on the front of the vehicle. The interior held a cot and also had leather upholstered seats for a doctor and a nurse. Within weeks, the ambulance was quite conspicuous on the streets of Bellefonte. During it's first year of operation, the ambulance answered 67 calls or an average of about one call every five days.
During 1910 the hospital also instituted a nurses training program.
By 1925, the hospital's board petitioned for a name change, changing the name to the Centre County Hospital.
In 1972, on land obtained from Penn State, a new hospital was built north of Benner Pike and Millbrook. The main hospital moved to this new facility and the former Centre County Hospital property in Bellefonte became the Willowbank Unit of Centre Community Hospital, named Mountain-View.