Top Home Designs   | - Get a dinner date this weekend   |  International Dating

Centre Democrat January 1 1920, page 5

"Sugar was so scarce that Bellefonte grocers were able to sell practically anything sweet to the Christmas trade.  One grocer ordered some sugar, and when it arrived from the wholesaler the storekeeper found that it was in the form of brown cakes.  He sold them at 15 cents a pound.  A week or so later when the agent again called at the store, the grocer discovered that the brown cakes were pure maple sugar, worth about 35 cents a pound."

Centre Democrat January 1 1920, page 5

"The first coasting accident of the season occurred Thursday afternoon, December 18th, when Mary and Elizabeth Carpeneto, daughters of Mrs. Louise Carpeneto, were both thrown from their sled and bruised.  The girls were coasting on Academy hill and an auto was crossing on Spring street, when their sled reached that point and struck the side of the car.  For a time it was feared the girls were seriously injured, but luckily proved not to be the case."

Centre Democrat January 1 1920, page 1

Crider's Mill Burned

Loss at over $12,000 is Mostly Covered by Insurance

"One of the most spectacular fires in Bellefonte in years started in the old Crider planing mill on Saturday, December 30th, about noon and caused a loss of over $12,000 mostly covered by insurance.  Is presumed that blow torches which had been used by the employees in thawing out the steam heat pipes in the mill, were in some manner responsible for the beginning of the blaze.  The pipes were frozen up the following the coldest night of the winter and the workmen had endeavored to the thaw them open with the blow torches as of the thermometer registered about 14 degrees below zero when they went to work in the morning and was too cold to work without heat.

As everything was very dry in the mill the fire burned with intense heat and very speedily.  The large roof on the building was covered with several inches of snow and he turned this into volumes of steam which mingled with the smoke and spread over the town from West to East in a great cloud that attracted the attention of all for miles around.  On the sounding of the fire alarm many gathered at the lumber yard, powerless to save the planning mill but managed to save other buildings nearby and a big and valued the road roller owned by the Gaylord International Engineering and Construction Company and stored in a shed close to the building.

When an attempt was made to play a hose on the fire, near its beginning, it was found that the water plugged was frozen and warm water had to be taken from Gamble's mill and the plug thawed out.  In the meantime in the flames got an overwhelming advantage and it was impossible to save the mill and its contents.  To those attached to this plug, however, enabled the saving of the buildings nearby and the road roller.

To the west of the building, just across the race, another nose was kept busy on two box cars, one of which was labeled "inflammable," and the cars saved until an engine shifted them to a safer place.

The building was owned like George M. Gamble and represents a loss of about $3000.  Mr. Gamble also had machinery destroyed that he valued at about $2000, making his total losses about $5000 partially covered by insurance.

H. N. Crider operated a novelty mill in one end of the building and manufactured "sucker" sticks.  His loss on machinery is estimated at $1500 and loss on blocks, $2500 and on manufactured "sucker" stakes, $1500, a total loss of $5500, practically covered by insurance.

F. W. Crider was most fortunate as he had only about $400 worth of lumber in the building and had an interest of about $1500 in the destroyed machinery.  His loss was fully covered by insurance.

It is likely a new building will be erected and that H. N. Crider will continue the novelty business, though it is expected the new building will be considerably smaller."

Centre Democrat January 1 1920, page 1

Big Plane Here

"The biggest plane to land on the Bellefonte aviation field came sailing in from the west about one o'clock on Tuesday afternoon and gracefully landed without mishap, though there was about a half foot of snow on the ground.  In fact, the plane came in with a flurry of snowflakes blowing in the air.  It was in charge of pilot Max Miller and was carrying 990 pounds of mail.  The plane was much larger than the standard D. H. 4's used and was equipped with two rudders, two propellers and for landing wheels.  Is a big more Martin bomber such as the government contemplates using more extensively.  Wednesday pilot Miller took the plane to New York City and will be used in making a nonstop flights from New York City to Cleveland."

Centre Democrat January 1 1920, page 1

Brains Seep Through Skull; Lad Recovering

Victim of coasting accident making remarkable recovery and hospital at Bellefonte

"For a lad to have his skull so badly fractured that the brains seeped through the fractures and then rally, with promise of fully recovering and being normal, is a remarkable experience of Daniel Shutt, six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Shutt, of Howard Street, Bellefonte.

On the Tuesday afternoon preceding Christmas to lad, with other companions, was coasting on Howard Street, near his tone and unfortunately collided with an auto loans and driven by Frank Davis, of Bellefonte.  He was picked up at once, having an ugly wounds on the head from which blood was flowing freely, and carried to his home, where he collapsed.  A physician was hastily summoned and found that the lad's skull had been fractured and that his brains were oozing through.

Very little hope was entertained for his recovery and he was rushed to the Bellefonte hospital, where an older brother, Henry, was a patient, having had an operation performed for appendicitis.

Every care was given him and he rallied and has since been getting along nicely, in spite of the seriousness of the injuries, and is now expected to recover and be normal.  The brother was discharged from the hospital on Monday."

Democratic Watchman January 2 1920, page 4

Aviation News

"Bellefonters had their first opportunity to see a baby Martin bomber on Tuesday when Max Miller drove one of these big machines from Cleveland to Bellefonte in one hour and 15 minutes, bringing within 26 sacks of mail, or total of 960 pounds.  The machine is a new one just out of the factory and pilot Miller had never been in one until he took it up on Monday to test it.  Naturally it was considerable of an attraction to Bellefonte people and scores flocked to the aviation field to see it.  The machine was kept at the field until Wednesday morning about 11:30 one pilot Miller left for New York.  All questions of the Bellefonte field being a good land in place for the big planes was said to act rests by pilot Miller affecting and landing easily and taking off on Wednesday with perfect ease.  His flight from Bellefonte to New York was made in two hours and 15 minutes.

The balance of the material for the new steel hangar was shipped from Washington on Tuesday and should be here most any day.  As soon as it arrives to hangar will be put up to take the place of the one destroyed by fire."

Centre Democrat January 8 1920, page 1

Pilot Knight Breaks Record

"All-American records for nonstop flights of more than 200 miles are believed to have been broken on Friday when pilot James H. Knight, stationed at Bellefonte, made a flight from Cleveland to Bellefonte, a distance of 215 miles and 83 minutes.  The flights in was made an average of 156 miles an hour and was seven minutes better than his former record made last September.  When he left Cleveland a snowstorm was raging."

Centre Democrat January 8 1920, page 5

"Fire threatened to distraction of one of Bellefonte's prettiest buildings - Petriken Hall - on Saturday afternoon but was extinguished just in time.  Budd Tate was vulcanizing an auto tire in the plumbing shopping and was using gasoline, a portion of which splashed on his hand and ignited.  He became excited and whirled the burning stuff from his hand, the fire landing among some oakum that instantly went in a mass of flames.  The smoke entered the upper rooms and the Scenic where a matinee was in progress.  Tate ran upstairs to the Scenic and asked Mr. Brown for one of the Scenic fire extinguishers and was told to take the large one capped at the rear of the room.  Mr. Brown then told the people and around to leave by the accident and they left in order, without any consequence.  They used to fire extinguisher too good advantage in the flames were extinguished."

Democratic Watchman January 9 1920, page 4

"C. Y. Wagner has completed all the plans for the erection of his big flour mill, which is to be located along the L. and T. railroad just south of the Phoenix pumping station and work will begin just as soon as the weather opens up sufficiently to make it practicable.  It will be of reinforced concrete, four stories or more high, and will be built by George the Rhoads & Sons."

Democratic Watchman January 9 1920, page 4

Interesting Aviation News

"While Wednesday was not cold like some days we have had the pilots on the aerial mail route were unable to get over the Allegheny Mountains owing to the density of the clouds.  Pilot Robinson got in from New York and Max Miller started for Cleveland and when he reached Clearfield he was confronted with a bank of clouds that reached virtually from a few hundred feet of the ground to an altitude of 7000 feet, and was compelled to fly back to Bellefonte.  The pilot who left Cleveland flew into the cloud bank at Brookville and was compelled to come down.  The pilot Stevens, however, made the return flight from Bellefonte to New York.

Has now plans the big Martin bombers will be put into service as mail carriers between New York and Cleveland on January 16th, but the usual number of DeHaviland cars will be kept here in case of emergency.

James C. Maresa, the wireless operator who helped to install the radio station on the Bellefonte field and has since been in charge, was this week sent to Heller field, Newark, N. J., to complete the installation of the station there.  He was succeeded here by Marshall C. Wright, who arrived in Bellefonte on Wednesday.  While the planes have not yet been equipped with a wireless apparatus to Bellefonte stationed easily picks up messages from all points along the Atlantic Coast as far south as Key West, Florida, and from vessels 500 miles at sea.  Messages are also easily cocked from the Cleveland naval station."

Centre Democrat January 8 1920

"James McCulley, Earl Kline and Ferdinand Winzer, of the government aerial mail service station at Bellefonte, went to Medix Run to bring back the planes which Fred S. Rebillard was forced to land in the mountains during the hunting season."

Centre Democrat January 15 1920, page 1

Recovered Damaged Plane

"Mechanicians Ferdinand Winzen and Earl Kline, of the local aviation field, were arrivals home on Thursday evening of last week after spending a number of days in the mountains of Medix Run, where they engaged in salvaging thumbnail airplane of pilot Robillard who was forced to land in that wild Mountain region during the hunting season.  Messers Winzen, Kline and James McCully started last Monday for the scene, taking with any supply of five days provisions.  Their first duty upon arriving west to hire a man and his son and a team with which to get the plane to a point where it could be loaded on board a call are for shipment to Bellefonte.  That this operation was one of considerable effort can better be imagined then told when it is known that the plane had to belong to a distance of 10 miles down a rough mountainous road.  The point where pilot Robillard had been forced to land was in a wild bit of country, whose only mark of any semblance to civilization was a hunter's camp.  The camp, of course, was deserted at this season, but showed evidence of being well taken care of.  On the site is a barn which the man's state contains nearly 100 tons of hay.  The stranded plane was found to be little the worse for its fall and exposure to the weather, the only visible marks of damage being slight punctures of the wings and a broken propeller.  James McCully remained at Medix Run to superintend the safe shipment of the plane."

Centre Democrat January 15 1920, page 5

"And other carloads of the material for the new steel hangar to be erected at the aviation field arrived this week and all that is wanted now to make it possible to a wrecked the hanger is some nice weather."

Democratic Watchman January 16 1920, page 4

Thrilling Experience of Pilot Paul W. Smith

"Pilot Paul W. Smith, flying from New York to Bellefonte on Monday with six hundred  pounds of mail, the head and unusually thrilling experience when he was forced down by motor trouble this side of Laurelton, smashed his machine and landing in the woods on top of the now he above Cherry Run and then had to walk eight miles through the mountain snows to reach the nearest habitation.  Fortunately he was not injured in the crash of his plane, and in no way is any the worse for his adventure.

Pilots Smith encountered his first trouble after leaving New York when in the neighborhood of Mifflinburg when his oil pressure ran low and he was forced to descend for a supply.  This was in the neighborhood of twelve o'clock and while on the ground he notified manager Kelly, at the Bellefonte field, of his delay and that he expected to be through in a half hour.  In the meantime pilot Stevens left Bellefonte for New York and after landing at Heller's field he telegraphed Bellefonte that Smith was still on the ground when he passed over Mifflinburg.  Telephone messages to that place, however, brought the information that Smith had left there shortly after twelve o'clock and all efforts to locate his whereabouts proved unavailing until almost three o'clock when a call came from Smith, himself, who stated that he had not sailed far after leaving Mifflinburg when his motor stopped dead and all efforts to get it started proves on unavailing.  The only thing to do was calmed down and the only place in sight was the top of a mountain. 

Search our entire site
powered by FreeFind

S e a r c h   T I P S

Last Updated:
5 August 2003

Site design and content © 1999-2003