The Free Site   |  vBuddy - make friends, share photos, blogs, have fun   |  Cheap Web Hosting - starting at $5

SOLDIERS' MONUMENT     continued

General Beaver read a carefully prepared statement of the condition of affairs with reference to the monument. To make a long story short, he showed that $30, 000 was in sight for this monument should the three interests be combined; that is, if the county commissioners would give the $10,000 which was favorably recommended by two grand juries, together with the Curtin memorial fund of $10,000 and the $10,000 given by the State legislature the money would be practically raised. Senator Heinle was present and stated that the money appropriated by the State could be used in that way. The report also stated that the George Gray Barnhard design had to be abandoned for two reasons - first, because the design would cost $50,000, and, second, because it is entirely too large for the location, which should be on the public square.

At a previous meeting it was suggested that the Curtin residence should be purchased for a memorial hall. Following the direction of this meeting, a committee called on Mrs. Curtin to talk the matter over and she positively refused to entertain any such proposals, stating that her home was not for sale. The only thing left was a monument, and to get the project in working shape, Capt. Fryberger moved that an executive committee of nine be appointed, consisting of three members of the Harrisburg committee, the three county commissioners and three to be selected by the Centre County Monument Association with full power to locate, secure design and build a monument to the memory of Governor Curtin and the Soldiers and Sailors of Centre County, the cost to be about thirty thousand dollar. This motion was seconded by W. H. Musser and carried unanimously. This committee is composed as follows: Governor Samuel W. Pennypacker, Gen. James A. Beaver, Senator A. E. Patton, Abram V. Miller, John G. Bailey, Philip H. Meyer, Capt. C. T. Fryberger. John A. Daley and Gen. John I. Curtin.

After the meeting in the court house the new committee held a conference in Gen. Beaver's office, to map out the work that must be done immediately. The first thing is the design and location and the second thing is to get to work. This is a most excellent committee and we trust that they will see the expediency of rushing things along as rapidly as possible."

Keystone Gazette December 4 1903, page 1

A DESTRUCTIVE CONFLAGRATION

The Central Railroad's Round House Goes Up In Smoke

TWO LOCOMOTIVES BURNED

Difficulties with the Borough Fire Apparatus and Absence of Water Plugs in the Vicinity Account for the Loss of the Valuable Property - The Road Will be Somewhat Inconvenienced Until the Locomotives are Replaced as They Cannot be Bought at Short Notice

"About 11:30 o'clock Wednesday night a locomotive whistle was heard which sounded as though there was fire some where, which was followed by the hoarse whistle on the electric station, which was a definite warning that somebody was in trouble. The fire was located at the engine or round house of the Central Railroad of Pennsylvania along the pike near the fair grounds, between Bellefonte and Milesburg.

At this writing it is impossible to tell how the fire originated. There were two hostlers in the building at the time, but they were busy working at the engines and therefore were unable to say how it caught. The boss hostler is Calvin Geiser and his assistant is William Newman.

It so happened that the Logan Fire Company had its engine at Lingle's machine shop for repairs, which is the first time for ten years the Logan boys respond ed with only their hose cart, but on reaching the scene found that there was no water plug there as it is outside of the borough. The Undine fire company soon followed, and, after placing their steamer along the creek, it was found that it would not draw water, which rendered it useless so far as extinguishing the flames was concerned. By this time the main building was all in an uncontrollable blaze. While this was burning the water tank took fire, which was quite a novelty to the hundreds of spectators. Both the tank and the round house were soon leveled to the ground. In this meantime a bucket brigade was formed and worked heroically to save the large paint and car barn, which was accomplished.

The building destroyed was frame, being about 140 feet long and 60 feet wide with all the modern conveniences for which it was used. In addition to the round house the building was used as a machine shop for the repair of engines and thus many valuable tools were lost. Thomas J. Murphy, who had charge of such repairs, lost individual tools which cost $100. The company's loss of tools will reach several thousand dollars.

In addition to the above, there were four engines in the building, two of which were drawn out onto the side track, but when the hostlers came back to secure the remaining two the building was falling in and the flames had made such headway that it was impossible to get near them, and they were soon reduced to a pile of scrap iron. Among the engines destroyed was the beautiful passenger locomotive, Ne-ha-sa-ne, which was the pride of the road. Although not a heavy puller it was a fast runner. It is said that when new it cost $15,000. The other engine destroyed was No. 3, a shifter. A large number of engine fittings were also destroyed. The fire was so hot that it warped iron rails on the trick to the extent that they were almost doubted.

A Gazette representative was on the scene early Thursday morning and found General Road Supervisor William Gainford on the ground with a gang of men searching the ruins for tools. We made inquiry is to the probable cost, but as Supt. J. W. Gephart was in New York, no correct estimate can be given, but it is not likely to fall below $40,000. There is some insurance, but the exact amount we could not learn.

This is a great loss to the railroad company and the managers will be put to considerable inconvenience until they secure additional engines, which will be just as soon as possible. Trains on the road are being run as usual."

Keystone Gazette December 4 1903, page 1

The New Pump

"It won't be long now until the citizens of Bellefonte will know whether t he proposition made by Col. W. F. Reynolds to the council will work. That is whether the Phoenix mill can be useful as a pumping station. Last Saturday the new pump arrived and is now being placed in position. We don't know very much as to what sized pump is required to do the work, but just to take a bird's eye view of the large apparatus it looks as though they had a machine large enough to supply a town twice the size of this one. If they have water power enough there to run it through wet and dry seasons the problem of how to save money at the water works has been solved. We trust that the experiment may prove a great success. We understand that it is to pump a million and a quarter gallons every twenty-four hours."

Keystone Gazette December 4 1903, page 1

A New Society

"Friday morning a new organization had its birth in Bellefonte and will be known as the Centre County Historical Society. The meeting was held in the court house and upon the motion of Dr. D. M. Wolf, of Spring Mills, Hon. Fred Kurtz was made chairman, and Thomas Mitchell secretary. General Beaver made a ten minute speech, setting forth the great importance of Centre County having a Historical Society. A committee of five was then authorized on motion of General Beaver, seconded by Capt. Fry, to draft a constitution and by-laws for the government of the society. The meeting adjourned to meet again at the call of the chairman to transact further business and hear the report of the committee on constitution and rules."

Keystone Gazette December 11 1903, page 8

Round House to be Rebuilt

"The Central Railroad of Pennsylvania is now making arrangements to rebuild the round house which last week was destroyed by fire. This time t he building w ill be fire proof as it will be made of brick and steel. It will perhaps be larger than the old one and have in it many more modern conveniences. Ne-ha-sa-ne, the large and beautiful passenger locomotive will be rebuilt and perhaps made better than before it was burned. An ex pert boiler tester was here and stated that t he boiler was not harmed in the least. The repairs will be made here instead of taking it away and operations will be commenced on it at once."

Democratic Watchman December 11 1903, page 8

"Work is progressing rapidly on the car barn that is being erected at the Bellefonte hatchery for the accommodation of the car that will be used for transporting the trout fry to various parts of the State. It is to be 75x25 and the extra room it will afford will be utilized as a store house for the fish cans."

Democratic Watchman December 11 1903, page 8

REBUILDING THE ENGINE HOUSE

"The work of bricklaying for the new engine house of the Central Railroad of Pennsylvania that is to replace the one destroyed by fire on the night of the 2nd last was begun on Wednesday. The new building is to occupy the site of the old one and will he 60x163ft. with a shop annex 15x28. It is to be of brick, with a steel truss superstructure and slate roof; making it entirely fire proof."

Keystone Gazette December 18 1903, page 1

New Zinc Mine

"The Pennsylvania Mining and Smelting Company, whose main office is in Bellefonte but who's mines are in Joplin and G randy, Mo., have issued to their stockholders a beautiful prospectus of their operations which includes eight distinct plants, all fully illustrated and described.

The pamphlet is gotten up with considerable taste and artistic style, containing much useful information to stockholders and investors. The officer s of the new company are as follows: President, F. H. Thomas; Vice President, Dr. R. G. H. Haves; Secretary, J C. Meyer; Treasurer, C. M. Parrish; General Manager, Robert F. Hunter. There are fifteen directors, seven of whom are from Bellefonte. The mines are located in one of the richest zinc belts in the United States, and as the company is largely represented by Bellefonte capital it is hoped that it may prove a great success."

Keystone Gazette December 18 1903, page 8

"A mail chute has been put in Temple Court by which occupants on any floor can drop letters right into the postoffice below, saving them the trouble of going down stairs.  It is a success."

Keystone Gazette December 18 1903, page 8

"The Bullock Swing & Chair Manufacturing Co., of Milesburg, of which Ralph Spigelmyer of Bellefonte, is t he business manager, will have a large display at the World's Fair at St. Louis next sum mer. The expenses will run $2,000 to $2,500.  The booth alone cost $1,000. It comes high but we must have it."

Search our entire site
powered by FreeFind

S e a r c h   T I P S

Last Updated:
6 June 2002

Site design and content © 1999-2003