Top Home Designs   | - Get a dinner date this weekend   |  International Dating

Democratic Watchman November 13 1896, page 8


"George Bradt is not a remarkable man, in any respect yet he has showed himself, abundantly able to take care of No. 1, especially when the Bellefonte board of health gets after him with a sharp stick for not complying with the laws that body has laid down for the preservation of the good health of the town.

Mr. Bradt is one of those kind of men who would attract attention in a crowd. He is a typical yankee in appearance and has a wife and four children. About six weeks ago one of the latter took diphtheria and the board of health struck for the Bradt home, on east Howard street, at once. The customary yellow card was tacked on the door and the place and its inmates quarantined. George didn't take kindly to the chalk marks over which the Bellefonte health preservers said he dare not step. It was very depressing staying at home when there was a great political campaign on. In truth his spirits must have been well nigh run down when the danger card mysteriously disappeared from the door and George and his dog began their daily ambulations as of old.

The doctors hauled him up before justice Keichline, where George declared he did not take the card off and was discharged. Then his tormentors appealed and the case will be tried at the coming court.

Meanwhile the four year old baby got well and now a ten year old girl has the disease. George kept on going in and out, so did the dog, until the people got scared again and the board ordered the dog tied up. This was done, but no one knows what George will do. He certainly has proven his capability of looking out for himself."

Democratic Watchman November 13 1896, page 8


"A fist fight has seldom a funny side because the better nature of everyone is shocked by the manifestation of such brutality but Bellefonte laughed a great deal, last Friday, when the facts of a fight which two of her oldest residents indulged in became known.

Nearly everyone knows old Johnny Caldwell. He is 78 years old and indeed it seems as though he ought to be about an hundred, for he was quite an old man when he used to deliver coal for the Snow Shoe company and spend his idle time chasing the boys who were wont to disturb his geese on their nests on the island near where the Central R. R. of Penna. station now stands. Johnny isn't one of the most robust of men. In fact he is little and skinny and scarcely weighs 100 lbs, but he still possesses that refreshing Irish grit that seems to hang on to the last breath of age. Last Friday morning he was walking along Beaver street, when he met his anything but friend, Benj. Housel, aged 82, and too heavy to be weighed on a scale that doesn't register at least 200 lbs. The election had been of too recent occurrence for the men to pass without some remark and the most natural thing in the world for them to begin to twit one another about was the division of the spoils of the Republican victory. Johnny Caldwell said it would be hard to remove the Democratic mail carriers without cause, the lie passed and the two old fellows were fighting like game cocks in less time than it takes to tell it.

Housel's superior weight told in the in fighting. In fact it was only a matter of a minute or so until Johnny was broad on his back, while Ben was sitting astride of him, choking him with one hand and laying on with his cape with the other.

It is just as hard to make an old dog forget his old tricks as it is to make one learn new ones and that accounts for Housel's eye looking like the eight ball at pool before he got Johnny down. The latter had not forgotten his pristine glory as a scrapper and before his opponent sat down on him he decorated Benjamin's eye in such a way as would have made it a capital ornament for Mark Hanna's flag day.

About the time the two old fellows had exhausted themselves and were too weak to give the peace maker the thumping he usually receives Dr. R. G. H. Hayes arrived and separated them. Each proceeded "to take the law" on the other, but the law refused to have anything to do with either, so the old scrappers pass without speaking now, but they watch each other out of the corners of their eyes, all the same.

Democratic Watchman November 13 1896, page 8


"It has been five years since glass has been made at the factory in this place and it is now beginning to look as if it will not be halt as many weeks until the plant will be in full operation again.

Last Monday the last dollar of the necessary $3,000 to start it off on the co-operative plan was subscribed and it now remains only to put a new roof on the factory and divide the furnace, so that four pots only need be worked. It will not take long to accomplish this so that it is confidently expected that before the middle of December the factory will be started up on a safer basis than it has ever been operated on before.

It will be wholly on the co-operative plan the skilled workmen controlling everything, with the possible exception of the books, which will he turned over to an expert accountant. Under this plan there will ho no interest on borrowed money to pay, no high salaries to officials and no one but practical glass men directing the work. If the factory cannot be made a success under such conditions then there can be no possibility of making money in the glass business in Bellefonte.

The final arrangements were concluded yesterday about noon and what will be known as the Co-operative Glass Company of Bellefonte will be in operation by December 1st, with about twenty-five men employed. The officers of the organization are President, John Knisely secretary, Thomas Shaughensy manager, James Conroy directors Jacob Gehring, John A. Waite, Matthei Vable and Louis Kohlbeckor. The other men interested are Herman Cruse, George Seigwort and George Vanscoyoc.

They are to get the factory free of rent until August '97. After that time they have an option to lease it at $600 per year. Council has already exonerated half the taxes."

Keystone Gazette November 13 1896, page 8

Prof. Day Makes a Favorable Impression Upon the Bellefonte People

"Tuesday of last week Prof. E. M. Day, the celebrated hypnotist, came to Bellefonte to open a week's engagement in Garman's opera house. Tuesday night being election night and the following evening being inclement, the audiences were not large and yet large enough to be an advertisement for him. He being a thorough master of the art of hypnotism and a man of pleasing and winning ways, soon drew to the opera house men and women from the most cultured homes in Bellefonte until it was crowded for four nights with audiences worthy to greet any man of high standing and renown. The object was to bring subjects upon the stage and while under the hypnotic influence be made to play ball, fish, ride a bicycle, go up in a balloon or anything else dictated by the Prof. While the performance is laughable and amusing, it can be considered one or the most wonderful accomplishments known to science. Thursday evening he put a man by the name of Henry Proux to sleep for 24 hours and then put him in Lewin's clothing store window where hundreds of people viewed him during the day. Friday night at 10 o'clock he was awakened from his long sleep and it didn't affect him in the least. Shortly after he was awakened he was around on the streets. The Hindo Sleep by which Prof. Day pus his audience to sleep is something wonderful and you cannot help but be filled with awe. Monday night eight or nine persons were put to sleep by just looking at him. His making a man rigid like marble is also something marvelous. His wife assisted him Monday night and while under the influence of hypnotism was made to believe that she was "Trilby" and sang the famous song "Ben Bolt." Prof. Day is an ideal young man and before leaving Bellefonte Tuesday had to give our people the promise that he would return in the near future when they will have to enlarge the opera house if they want to accommodate the people."

Democratic Watchman November 20 1896, page 8


"Our Republican and gold Democratic friends celebrated McKinley's election by having & parade and general jollification in this place, on Saturday night.  We include the gold Democrats, not knowing whether we are right or not, but basing our belief on a number of the banners that appeared in the parade, which seemed to give then, credit for McKinley's victory. However that makes little difference now and the parade cut about as much caper as a band of New Year shooters would do on the 4th of July.

There were six bands, a number of floats, about two troops of horsemen and a straggling foot contingent numbering in all about 263. Every fellow who wants a post-office, a clerkship or any of the sundry jobs that are to be handed out was astride a horse, with head and tail up, or running along with a stick of red fire yelling until he was purple in the fade. it was delightful to see such devotion to party and besides the delight we experienced we think we saw several foreign ambassadors or ministers plenipotentiary - not penitentiary.

After the parade things got so lively that the police could not quiet the crowd long enough for Col. Reeder and W. E. Gray to make their speeches in the Diamond. The bands tooted away until the speakers had about despaired of getting to say anything, when E. R. Ch ambers rode forth to silence the multitudes. He poked his horse in the ribs until it danced like a jumping jack and proceeded to put his friend Gray clear out of the race for Commissioner's attorney by silencing the Milesburg band at the risk of extermination. It was a Weyler stroke, recklessly executed, for Mr. Chambers doubtless realized that the band would play far better than the speaker would talk and in stopping its music the people would be forced to listen to Mr. Gray and, hearing him, pronounce his doom.

Later in the evening the temperature became too cool for five cent drinks and the trouble began.  There were armies of drunken men howling about the streets until Sunday morning and thus ended the last political demonstration we are likely to see for four years.

Democratic Watchman November 20 1896, page 8


"The Coleville band is to be mustered into the National Guard of Pennsylvania and will soon be known as the 5th Regiment band.  The 5th has been in need of a band for some time and in looking around for one Col. Burchfield has about decided to extend the opportunity to our own Coleville organization. Though the appointment has not been actually made the correspondence that has passed leads to the belief that there is little doubt of its being dope. The boys have stated, that they would be glad to enter the service as musicians and it is likely that they will soon be formally mustered in.

This will mean that they attend all encampments with the regiment and accompany it wherever it goes. The membership will be increased to sixteen or twenty-one, including the drum major. The regulation military suite will be worn, with the two white stripes on the trousers, indicative of musician, and the lyre on the cap.

So far as we have been able to learn the money appropriation to a band, aside from the regular pay during service, is an assessment of $l2.50 levied annually on each company in the regiment for the use of the hand. At all events the change will undoubtedly result in the improvement of the Coleville organization."

Keystone Gazette November 20 1896, page 8


Martz's Coach Shop Burned to the Ground With a Total Loss

"There was a fire in Bellefonte Friday night of last week and very few of our people knew anything about it until Saturday morning. It was between the hours of 12 and 1 o'clock, when the coach and wagon-maker shop of Homer Martz, located on Pine street, caught fire and was almost in ashes before it was discovered. The first to make the discovery was a daughter of William Houser, whose residence and butcher shop are next to the ruins. She was awakened by the light from the fire in her bed-room and at once called her father, who hurriedly went to the scene of conflagration but too late to do any good. About a half dozen people witnessed the destruction of the building, and as the wind was blowing toward the hill, it was of no use to call out the fire companies.

Goerge Mallory, the blacksmith, who lives across the street, says that by the time he had gotten there the roof of the building was falling in and it didn't take long until it was nothing but a mass of smoldering ashes. It was a two story frame building and the contents were the running gear of two sleds, a sleigh, a phantom and a valuable set of tools, together with some stock. Nothing was saved from the building. The building and stock belonged to Homer Martz, whose loss is about $800.00

Mr. Martz had $150 Insurance on the building and $50 on his tools, but it seems that be neglected to renew the policies, and it is altogether likely that he will not receive anything. How the fire originated is a mystery."

Democratic Watchman November 27 1896, page 8


"The only wooden trestle on the line of the Central railroad of Pennsylvania is at the junction of that road and the Nittany valley R. R. about three miles east of Bellefonte.

There a 500 ft. wooden structure carries the Central trains over a ravine and the public road to Zion. As the life of a hemlock trestle is only four years, the company has taken time by the forelock and is filling up with ballast secured from Morris' pike quarries.

Before the wooden structure has lived its allotted railroad life the viaduct, will all be filled in, except the iron span that crosses the public road, and the end of the long bridge will be at hand."

powered by FreeFind

Last Updated:
8 October 2001

Site design and content © 1999-2003