Democratic Watchman May 12 1893, page 8
THE NEW RAILROAD FOR BELLEFONTE DEAD SURE THING
"For some time there has been considerable talk about a new railroad which is to run into Bellefonte, but owing to the vapory nature of which such rumors usually partake the Watchman deemed it best to retrain from saying anything at all until it could give its readers substantial facts.
Bellefonte is to have a competing line of rail-road and that within a year. Such a statement may surprise some of you but it is a fact all the same. A number of gentlemen have been at work for a long time on the project and now, the final arrangements having been completed, all that remains to be done is, the building of the road.
The Central Rail-road of Pennsylvania; Walter L. Ross, President; Wm. J. McHugh, Secretary and Treasurer and J. W. Gephart, Superintendent of Construction, has been in existence as an organization for nearly two years and during that time the sole project of its members has been to give Bellefonte the benefit of a competing line of rail-road. The fruit of their labor has come at last and the dreams of those who have long seen a "boom" day for our town when she has a second rail-road line will soon be realized.
The new line is really an extension the Beech creek rail-road, which is now under the direction of the New York Central and Hudson River Rail-road Co., and will connect with it near the station at Mill Hall. The survey for the road brings it into Bellefonte at the foot of Lamb street, after having followed the canal bank from Armor's gap on the Milesburg pike. At Armor's gap it turns in and follows the water draught towards the Nittany mountain, crossing the Jacksonville road on the Kline farm and running on over to the Fishing creek road which it crosses on the Curtin farm. Near Nigh bank an intersection a made with the Nittany Valley rail-road and the route continues south-east toward the mountain. After reaching the feet of the mountain the road curves east and continues straight down the valley, passing within a mile of Zion and running through Hecla, Hublersburg, Snydertown, Nittany Hall, Clintondale, Mackeyville, Cedar Springs and thence north through the gap to Mill Hall where the connection with the Beech Creek road will be made. Stations will be erected at all towns along the line.
We say within a year the residents of Nittany Valley will see long freight and passenger trains steaming along the line of the Central railroad of Pennsylvania, yet while placing the time twelve months ahead we have the assurance of the Superintendent of Construction that if money and men can do it the road will be completed by the first of January next.
The survey makes the route about twenty-seven miles in length and it is estimated that it will cost $376,000 to build. The citizens of this place have subscribed $75,000 for the building of the road, but for every penny subscribed they are to receive first mortgage bonds, guaranteed. The work of construction will be actively begun on Monday morning. Most of the rights of way have already been secured, shanties have been built along the line for the workmen, and agents of the company are now hunting ties and laborers.
The road traverses a rich agricultural country and passes right over the celebrated Nittany ore beds. It touches all the principal towns en route and besides connecting one of the richest valleys in the State with the commercial world, the new road will be popular because of its picturesque route along Fishing Creek and through the Narrows.
The new rail-road is an assured fact. We know whereof we write There is no unfounded conjecture this time. The substantiability of the enterprise is seen in the fact that two of the organizers of the new road are on the newly constructed board of directors of the Reading system. It is backed by the best people of Bellefonte and we have the assurance of J. W. Gephart that "the thing is a sure go." Mr. Gephart brought himself before the people as the organizer of the Valentine Iron Co., and as its President has made the hitherto unsuccessful plant a paying and substantial industry. He has been the prime factor in getting the new rail-road under way and the same tenacity of purpose that characterized his work in making a giant iron industry spring from the wreckage of the old Centre Iron company will give us the new railroad sure."
Democratic Watchman June 9 1893, page 8
THE Y.M.C.A. SECRETARY RESIGNED
"J. Elliott. Harvey, wife and child left Bellefonte yesterday morning for Oil City where Mr. Harvey has been tendered and accepted a position with the Standard Oil, Co. In his departure Bellefonte has lost a citizen of whom we had every reason to be proud and it is surely to be regretted that the Y. M. C. A. did not bring more influence to bear to persuade Mr. Harvey to remain here. His christian work in the community was just beginning to have its harvest and the Y.M.C.A. has never had as efficient and altogether satisfactory Secretary as he has made.
For more than a year Bellefonte has had an opportunity, of studying the frank, manly character of this young man, who was as sincere in christianity as he was zealous in his association work, and the unanimous verdict has been one of satisfaction and pleasure. So much the more keenly will our loss be felt because, of general appreciation of this man. But in Y M.C.A. work, as in every thing else, Bellefonte can, do lots of talking but very little actual bustle. It was just such a condition affairs that made Mr. Harvey feel that his work was practically futile here and, his resignation followed.
Democratic Watchman June 23 1893, page 8
NEW BASE BALL LEAGUE ORGANIZED
"On Tuesday evening a party of gentlemen including John Anderson and W. H. Scullin, of Tyrone; D. Spence, manager of the Demorest club of Williamsport, and a number of our own enthusiasts met at the Bush House in this place talk over the advisability of organizing a base ball league which would embrace the towns of Renova, Williamsport, Lock Haven, Bellefonte and Tyrone. Renova sent a proxy with a statement that her people are perfectly willing to do whatever Bellefonte does. Lock Haven was not represented, but it is thought she will come in after while.
The question of the organization of such a League was looked at in all of its possible phases and nothing but a successful season could be foreseen for it. So it was accordingly organized, the following officers having been chosen to preside over the organization: President, John N. Lane, Bellefonte; vice president, W. H. Soullin, Tyrone; secretary, R. N. Roberts, Renova; treasurer, David Spence, Williamsport. A committee on by-laws was appointed as follows: John M. Dale, W. H. Soullin, David Spence. The committee to arrange a schedule was announced as follows: Hard Harris, Bellefonte; Fred Gould, Williamsport; M. L. Roach, Renova; Claude Jones, Tyrone; G. W. Bickford, Lock Haven.
A schedule and constitution committee was appointed. It will report its work to the various clubs for adoption and it is hoped the schedule will start the clubs playing ball by July 1st. The organization will be known as the River league. Forty dollar guarantees will be paid visiting clubs and no restrictions will be placed on the hiring of players."
Democratic Watchman July 14 1893, page 8
"A team of colored ball players from Philipsburg came over to this place on last Wednesday and were beaten by the score of 13 to 8 by the Bellefonte Black Diamonds. The Diamonds evened up an old score by giving them only $1.50 guarantee money."
Democratic Watchman July 21 1893, page 8
"The Bellefonte base ball team has been dubbed "the Governors."
Democratic Watchman July 28 1893, page 8
"Cows drank both fountains in the Court House yard dry on last Sunday. Fully two score of them had a rendezvous there that day. Nest Sunday they will have to say farewell to the angel for it will be their last day of power. They have had their day."
Democratic Watchman August 4 1893, page 8
"A slight blaze on the roof of a small frame house occupied by Abe Jackson and family, on east High street, called the entire fire department out on Friday morning. In turning into Allegheny street, from Howard, the Logan steamer horses were going at such speed that driver Sam'l Guisewhite was thrown from his seat and narrowly escaped being run over by the heavy engine. Only his presence of mind in holding onto the lines saved him. In that way he was dragged along until the team was stopped."
Democratic Watchman August 11 1893, page 4
THE NEW CHURCH INFORMALLY OPENED
"The Lutheran congregation of this place has been at work ever since 1889 building for itself a home for worship and the result of all this earnest labor is seen in the large brick structure that has been reared at the corner of Linn and Allegheny streets. Ever since the old church on jail hill, was burned in 1887 the Lutherans have been holding their services in the hall on the second floor of the Centre county bank building. So it will be readily seen that it was not with a feeling of regret that they left the crowded quarters, in which they have met so long, and went for the first time to the commodious church they have built for themselves.
The services they held in their new building were not dedicatory, but nevertheless partook something of that nature.
The main auditorium was not open for service. The meeting having been held in the Sunday School room where the children were at home and carried out their children's day program with a vigor that manifested the pleasure they felt at being in such a nice place. During the services Rev. Hoshour unveiled a beautiful memorial window which had been placed in the Sunday School in memory of Edith Dale, Mary Musser, Annie Ishler and Frank Harbaugh, four scholars who died during the building of the church.
In the evening Rev. Dornblazer, of Bucyrus, Ohio; delivered an able sermon on "Talents," to a crowded house. The church will be formally dedicated some time next month."
Democratic Watchman August 11 1893, page 8
IRVIN'S HARDWARE STORE ON FIRE
"At an early hour, on Sunday morning barber R. A. Beck came down from his home to his place of business in the basement of the First National bank building to see if everything was in good condition, just as he has been accustomed to do for number of years. His attention was attracted by the smell of smoke and upon making an investigation he found that it was coming from the large four story stone building fronting on Allegheny street and just in the rear of the Exchange. He gave an alarm and the fire department was on the scone in a very short time. When it arrived the firemen went to work to locate the fire and as the Irvin hardware store was puffing out smoke like a monster engine it was there that the flames were supposed to be. No fire could be found in the large store room, until some one reached the rear of it and discovered them in the cellar.
Three streams of water were directed to it and it was not long before the last spark was flooded.
When the smoke had cleared out, an investigation revealed the fact that the fire originated in the rear end of the cellar and had evidently been burning for some time before the discovery was made, as the heavy joists and a large part of the floor were burned out. The cause of the fire is not definitely known, though it is supposed to have been from spontaneous combustion. There were several cases of glass goods, packed in swamp grass, immediately under the place where the fire began and it is thought that the grass being damp had become heated and taken fire.
Ed Irvin, who manages the store, was out of town, having started on a bicycle ride to his home, at Julian, just a few minutes before the fire was discovered. The only damage to the stock was done by the water and smoke, as both those elements are particularly destructive to hardware goods. Mr. Irvin estimates his loss quite heavy. The insurance adjusters are at work on the case and just as soon as a settlement is effected the store will be open for business again."
Democratic Watchman August 18 1893, page 8
OUR BUILDING THIS SUMMER
"According to an estimate made recently from observation of the building being done in Bellefonte there are over $40,000 worth of work and material in residence and other like buildings that are just about completed. Quite a fair showing for such a dull season.
The structures are the following On Bishop street tho new Catholic parsonage will cost $5,000. It will be of brick and stone the dwelling houses of Christ Swartz and Frank Deitrick will cost $1,800 and $1500 respectively. H. Y. Stitzer's double tenement house, on east High street, will be of brick and will cost $8,500. John C. Miller is building for himself a $4,000 home on east Linn street, while W. Fred Reynolds is building a brown stone stable and coachman's house on his property that will cost $6,000. Jim Barnhart's nest for his bride, on north Thomas street, is a cosy little frame structure that cost him $2,000. Barber William Storm's queen Anne home, on Spring street, will be a beauty for $4,000. The improvements to Jas. Harris & Co's hardware building have been extensive and will cost at least $4,500. The Electric Light Company is making improvements to the extent of $4,500 and A. V. Smith is doing a little building on his Thomas street lot which will cost him several hundred dollars.
Allowing about $6,000 for minor improvements, of which we usually hear nothing it will be seen that notwithstanding all the cries of dull times Bellefonte has been pretty steadily at work during the season."
Democratic Watchman August 18 1893, page 8
"The court house yard is at last in a presentable condition and citizens of the county are no longer disgusted and ashamed to recognize the place as the seat of county government. The sodding was completed on Tuesday and the contractor, Mr. Frank Westcott, has reason to feel proud of his job. The grass looks beautiful. It is well laid and has good strong life."